In general, when the subject of Intelligent Design is brought to my attention, invariably an ID advocate (or any layperson, for that matter) will state that they cannot comprehend a natural mechanism by which the complexity of life arose. Especially the complexity of cells.
And true, the cell, with its countless genes, proteins, and other building-blocks of life, is immensely difficult to reduce to explanations comprehendable by the average layperson.
So, here I’ll keep a mini-library of journal papers of relevance to molecular evolution and complexity; and piece-by-piece, I’ll hopefully get to answer some of the questions that laypersons may find helpful.
- Digital Genetics: unraveling the genetic basis of evolution. Adami C. Nat. Rev. Genet. 2006 Feb; 7(2):109-18. Pubmed
- Divergence of hedgehog signal transduction mechanism between Drosophila and mammals. Varjosalo M, Li SP, Taipale J. Dev Cell. 2006 Feb; 10(2):177-86. Pubmed
- Evo-Devo: the long and winding road. Baguna J, Garcia-Fernandez J. Int J Dev Biol. 2003; 47(7-8):705-13. Pubmed
- Evolution of hormone-receptor complexity by molecular exploitation. Bridgham JT, Carroll SM, Thornton JW. Science. 2006 Apr 7; 312(5770):97-101. Pubmed
- Evolution: the plastic transcriptome. Gibson G. Curr Biol. 2006 Apr 18; 16(8):R285-7. Pubmed
- Evolution. Reducible complexity. Adami C. Science. 2006 Apr 7; 312(5770):61-3. Pubmed
- Exploiting protein structure data to explore the evolution of protein function and biological complexity. Marsden RL, Ranea JA, Sillero A, Redfern O, Yeats C, Maibaum M, Lee D, Addou S, Reeves GA, Dallman TJ, Orengo CA. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2006 Mar 29; 361(1467):425-40. Pubmed
- Integrating Evolution and Development: The Need for Bioinformatics in Evo-Devo. Mabee PM. BioScience. 2006 Apr; 56(4): 301-309. IngentaConnect
- Jump-starting a cellular world: investigating the origin of life, from soup to networks. Robinson R. PLoS Biol. 2005 Nov; 3(11):e396. Pubmed
- Toward automatic reconstruction of a highly resolved tree of life. Ciccarelli FD, Doerks T, von Mering C, Creevey CJ, Snel B, Bork P. Science. 2006 Mar 3; 311(5765):1283-7. Pubmed